Naturopathic Gingerbread Cookies
Yield: 18-24 cookies depending on size
1/2 cup rice flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
2 Tbsp blackstrap molasses
1 organic, free range egg
1 tsp real vanilla extractInstructions:
1. Preheat over to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, rice flour, baking soda, sea salt and spices until well combined.
3. In a separate, smaller bowl, whisk together coconut sugar, coconut oil, molasses, egg and vanilla extract until smooth.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and fold together with a spatula until well combined. Use your hands at the end to press the final cookie dough together into a large ball.
5. Put the dough between two sheets of parchment paper and flatten with rolling pin to desired thickness, about 1/4 inch thick works well. Use cookie cutters of your choice to cut cookies and transfer to baking sheet lined with parchment paper leaving some space between cookies for expansion.
TIP: if you find the cookie dough difficult to work with put it in the fridge to chill for a few minutes before cutting your cookies. I chill the dough after I’ve rolled it flat between sheets of parchment paper as it chills more quickly and becomes way easier to handle.
6. Bake cookies for 8-12 minutes. Check after 8 minutes in case your oven is hotter than mine. I find 10 minutes is usually perfect but thinner cookies could burn if left in a minute or two too long. If you like a crispier cookie, or if you left your dough thicker, you may need closer to 12 minutes for the cookies to be just right.
7. Let the cookies cool. Enjoy and be sure to share this healthy holiday cookie recipe!