Welcome! If you’re struggling with your digestion and confused by what everyone is telling you to do, you’re in the right place. I’m an experienced naturopathic doctor and I love helping people with IBS, IBD, GERD and other digestive woes. If you’re also feeling anxious, depressed or bunt out, I see you. Many people with digestive disorders struggle with their mood and mental health. My integrative approach to treatment is sensible, strategic, science based and targets the underlying cause of your symptoms to help you feel better.
Consider me an ally and advocate for your gut, your brain, and all the weird and wonderful ways in which they are connected and currently cramping your style. I assist you in gaining relief from the symptoms impacting your quality of life so you can get back to living the fullest, most fabulous version. Less diarrhea, more dancing. Less anxiety, more adventures. Less stress, more surfing! You get the picture 🙂
I have the luxury of time for important conversations that don’t fit into typical visits with even the best doctor or gut health specialist. My job is to assist you in gaining a deeper understanding of your symptoms, how your body works and how you can take meaningful action. Together we create a treatment strategy with your goals and values in mind.
What I treat:
- Flatulence and excessive gas
- Abdominal pain and cramping
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) including Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis
- Heartburn and acid reflux
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Functional dyspepsia
- H. pylori infections and peptic ulcer disease
- Celiac disease and gluten sensitivity
- Food intolerances
- Chronic stress
- PMS and PMDD
- Comprehensive, evidence based lab testing related to digestive health and whole body wellness such as blood tests for inflammatory and autoimmune markers, celiac disease screening, nutrient testing, hematology, metabolic testing, stool testing and breath testing when indicated;
- Nutritional counselling to help you intelligently use food as medicine without wacky diets or unnecessary food restrictions;
- Lifestyle medicine addressing sleep, movement and your environment to create a foundation for healing and thriving;
- Mind-body medicine with special attention to mental and emotional stress, mindset and building resilience;
- Evidence based use of botanical medicine, nutraceuticals, vitamins, minerals and probiotics, without excessive prescribing or unrealistic supplement regimens;
- Education about the role of prescription drugs, how to avoid interactions and how to manage side effects and nutrient depletions in order to optimize your care.
How I’m different:
- I’m evidence-based. My decisions about assessment and treatment are based on medical science. Not all assessments and treatments in the naturopathic and functional medicine space are evidence based. I strive to practice in a manner that is as evidence based and as up to date as possible. There are many alternative medicine tests that I do not perform and many treatments that I do not use.
- I’m integrative. I work alongside conventional care and advocate for my patients to receive treatment outside my scope whenever necessary.
- I’m thorough. I give my patients access to comprehensive lab testing and explain their results in detail so they finally understand what it all means. In addition to complaint oriented testing, I also recommend age appropriate screening for disease prevention.
- I’m holistic. I treat the whole person, not just their symptoms, diagnosis or lab markers. My patients and I have meaningful conversations that help them nurture all aspects of their health and wellness.
- I’m a geek. But in a cool way! I live to learn and love to share information that matters when it comes to your health. Sometimes I wear an anatomy apron. I love working with people who want to learn about their health, understand their diagnosis and play an active role in their healthcare experience.
- Problem solving is my jam. I search for the underlying causes of illness to help people connect the dots and take action. I’m a strategist that helps people troubleshoot challenges big and small.
- My visits are longer. I make space for you and your story. I allocate more time to your visits in order to be as thorough as possible and avoid rushing our important work.
- I love what I do. Even talking about poo.. Healthcare is serious business but we can have some fun, too 🙂
I am based in Collingwood, Ontario, just north of Toronto. I have been practicing naturopathic medicine since 2009 and serve people in The Blue Mountains, Thornbury, Clarksburg, Meaford, Markdale, Chatsworth, Owen Sound, Wasaga Beach, Midland, Stayner, Creemore and Nottawa. In 2023 I switched to a virtual practice style and now work remotely in order to serve people across Ontario. Learn more about me here.
-Dr. Aranka Jones ND
You must be logged in to post a comment.