Welcome to my integrative gut and digestive health practice. I help people with IBS, SIBO, GERD, Crohn’s and colitis with an approach rooted in evidence-based naturopathic medicine.
Located in Collingwood, Ontario, just north of Toronto, I have been practicing naturopathic medicine since 2009 and serve people in The Blue Mountains, Thornbury, Clarksburg, Meaford, Markdale, Wasaga Beach, Stayner and Creemore. In addition to seeing patients at my Collingwood office I offer virtual care to people anywhere in Ontario.
My special interest in integrative gastroenterology evolved over my first decade as a clinician. After helping hundreds of patients navigate the strengths and limitations of conventional and naturopathic medicine in the treatment of their IBS, IBD, GERD, SIBO and related conditions I came to appreciate the value and necessity of an integrative approach.
It’s an exciting time to see a naturopathic doctor. With rapidly expanding medical research on the role of diet and nutrition, the microbiome, herbal medicine, nutraceuticals, probiotics, lifestyle, mind-body medicine, stress and sleep in digestive diseases, I have made it my mission to empower and inform my patients and advocate for the use of evidence-based integrative medicine. My goal is to be an ally to you, your family doctor and gastroenterologist so you may safely and effectively bridging the gap between conventional treatment and naturopathic medicine.
I help people with:
- Abdominal pain and cramping
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Post-infectious IBS
- Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)
- Intestinal methanogen overgrowth (IMO)
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) including Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis
- Heartburn, acid reflux and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Functional dyspepsia
- Gluten sensitivity
- Non-celiac gluten sensitivity
- Celiac disease unresponsive to a gluten free diet
- Food sensitivities and intolerances
- Leaky gut
I also help people with these concerns related to gut health:
- Autoimmune disease
- Sleep problems
My approach includes:
- Comprehensive lab testing to establish targets for treatment. This may include stool tests to assess the gut microbiome, intestinal dysbiosis and infections, intestinal health, inflammation and digestive function; lactulose breath testing for those with suspected small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) or intestinal methanogen overgrowth (IMO); blood tests for inflammatory and autoimmune markers, celiac disease testing, nutrient testing, and assessment of thyroid function and metabolic health;
- Nutritional counselling and diet therapy to help people intelligently use food as medicine specific to their condition and stage of healing; this may include following a special diet for a period of time such as Low FODMAP Diet, Anti-inflammatory Diet, Mediterranean Diet, Autoimmune Paleo Diet, Specific Carbohydrate Diet and Gluten-free diet;
- Lifestyle medicine addressing sleep, stress, self care, exercise and breath work to create a foundation for healing;
- Mind-body medicine optimizing mental and emotional health, mindset, resilience and adaptation to stress;
- Evidence-based botanical or herbal medicines, nutraceuticals, vitamin and mineral supplements, prebiotics and strain specific probiotics.
How I’m different:
- I’m evidence-based. My decisions about assessment and treatment are based on medical science.
- I’m integrative. I embrace conventional medicine. I work alongside your medical doctor and gastroenterologist or specialist as an ally. I advocate for you to receive treatment outside my scope when necessary.
- I’m thorough. I help you access comprehensive, functional lab testing to identify new targets for treatment that are not explored by the scope of conventional medicine.
- I’m holistic. I treat the whole person, not just your symptoms, diagnosis or lab markers. We have good conversations to help you make profound personal changes where it serves you.
- I’m a geek. I live to learn and love to teach. There is a whiteboard in my office. Sometimes I wear an anatomy apron. I love working with people who want to learn about their health, understand their diagnosis and play an active role in their healthcare experience.
- Problem solving is my jam. I search for the underlying causes of disease and help you connect the dots and take action. I’m a strategist that helps you troubleshoot challenges big and small.
- My visits are longer. I have the luxury of time to make space for you and your story. I allocate more time to visits in order to be as thorough as possible.
- I love what I do. When people feel well they make the world a better place 🙂
Due to high volume my practice is currently full. If you would like to work with me please apply to my waiting list so that I prioritize you in the event of a cancellation or as soon as my schedule allows.
-Dr Aranka Jones ND