Welcome! I’m so glad you’re here.
I’m an Ontario naturopathic doctor focused on gut health and the integrative treatment of digestive diseases like IBS, SIBO, GERD, Celiac disease and inflammatory bowel disease including Crohn’s and ulcerative colitis. My broader focus includes supporting people with mental health conditions and autoimmune disease since many health concerns are linked to imbalances arising in the gut.
I advocate for an integrative approach to treatment that is safe and science-based. I assist my patients in navigating conventional healthcare as well as “complementary and alternative” or more natural treatment options. Consider me an ally with whom you can continue the conversation beyond the seven minutes you got to spend with your family doctor or specialist. Together we have the luxury of time to gain a deeper understanding of your health concerns and create a treatment strategy that is holistic and individualized.
I help people with:
- Abdominal pain and cramping
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Post-infectious IBS
- Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)
- Intestinal methanogen overgrowth (IMO)
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) including Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis
- Heartburn, acid reflux and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- H. pylori infections and peptic ulcer disease
- Functional dyspepsia
- Gluten sensitivity
- Non-celiac gluten sensitivity
- Celiac disease unresponsive to a gluten free diet
- Food sensitivities and intolerances
- Increased intestinal permeability or “leaky gut”
I also help people with these concerns related to gut health:
- Anxiety and depression
- Autoimmune disease
My approach includes:
- Comprehensive lab testing to establish targets for treatment. This may include stool tests to assess the gut microbiome, intestinal dysbiosis and infections, intestinal health, inflammation and digestive function; breath testing for those with suspected small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) or intestinal methanogen overgrowth (IMO); blood tests for inflammatory and autoimmune markers, celiac disease testing, nutrient testing, and assessment of thyroid function and metabolic health;
- Nutritional counselling and diet therapy to help people intelligently use food as medicine specific to their condition and stage of healing; this may include following a special diet for a period of time such as the low FODMAP diet, anti-inflammatory diet, Mediterranean diet and gluten-free diet when indicated;
- Lifestyle medicine addressing sleep, stress, self care and exercise to create a foundation for healing;
- Mind-body medicine optimizing mental and emotional health, mindset, resilience and adaptation to stress;
- Evidence-based botanical or herbal medicines, nutraceuticals, vitamin and mineral supplements, prebiotics and strain specific probiotics.
- Helping you understand any prescription drugs you are taking, when and why they are necessary, and how to manage side effects and nutrient depletions to optimize your care.
How I’m different:
- I’m evidence-based. My decisions about assessment and treatment are based on medical science.
- I’m integrative. I embrace conventional medicine. I work alongside your medical doctor and gastroenterologist or specialist as an ally. I advocate for you to receive treatment outside my scope when necessary.
- I’m thorough. I help you access comprehensive, functional lab testing to identify new targets for treatment that do not fall into the scope of conventional medicine.
- I’m holistic. I treat the whole person, not just your symptoms, diagnosis or lab markers. We have good conversations to help you make changes that support living your best life.
- I’m a geek. I live to learn and love to teach. There is a whiteboard in my office. Sometimes I wear an anatomy apron. I love working with people who want to learn about their health, understand their diagnosis and play an active role in their healthcare experience.
- Problem solving is my jam. I search for the underlying causes of disease and help you connect the dots and take action. I’m a strategist that helps you troubleshoot challenges big and small.
- My visits are longer. I have the luxury of time to make space for you and your story. I allocate more time to your first two visits in order to be as thorough as possible.
- I love what I do. When people feel well they make the world a better place 🙂
Located in Collingwood, Ontario, just north of Toronto, I have been practicing naturopathic medicine since 2009 and serve people in The Blue Mountains, Thornbury, Clarksburg, Meaford, Markdale, Wasaga Beach, Stayner and Creemore. In addition to seeing patients at my Collingwood office I offer virtual care to people anywhere in Ontario.
Due to high volume my practice is currently full. If you would like to work with me please apply to my waiting list so that I prioritize you in the event of a cancellation or as soon as my schedule allows.
-Dr Aranka Jones ND