1. Mercury found in large fish like tuna. It’s toxic to the nervous system and thyroid gland.
2. Pesticides like organophosphates, chlordanes and DDT from non-organic and/or imported produce. They are linked to cancer and neurological conditions.
3. Pesticide and antibiotic residues in conventionally raised beef, dairy products and farmed fish like Atlantic salmon and catfish.
4. Persistent organic pollutants like pesticides, flame retardants and coolants, even those that have been banned since the 1970’s, accumulate in fatty tissue of all animals including humans (e.g. farmed salmon are heavily contaminated with PCBs and Dioxins).
5. Plastic residues like BPA, phthalates, PVC, PS and PC from food packaging, water bottles, baby bottles, cling wrap and “microwave safe” plastics.
6. Outdoor air pollution like hydrocarbons from car exhaust, second-hand smoke, industrial smokestacks… and did I say pesticides?
7. Indoor air pollution like solvent off-gassing from carpet, paint, cabinetry, dry cleaning, newspapers and magazines, household cleaners, laundry detergent, air fresheners, mold.
8. Personal care product ingredients like fragrance (parfum), parabens, sodium lauryl sulphate, triclosan, phthalates, chemical sunscreens, petroleum (mineral oil), FD&C colours and formaldehyde releasing preservatives like DMDM hydantoin.
9. Allergenic foods, most commonly wheat (gluten) and dairy (casein); cause generalized inflammation and may contribute to weight gain, impaired digestion, arthritis, autoimmune conditions, fatigue, depression, anxiety and ADHD.
10. White sugar, refined carbohydrates and artificial sweeteners are also toxins. A high sugar diet impairs the liver’s ability to metabolize the toxic compounds listed above. At the same time, a high sugar diet suppresses the immune system, thus making you more susceptible to cancer.
Learn how to reduce your toxic exposure and support your body’s self-cleaning ability with delicious whole foods at my upcoming Detox Cooking Class on May 4th. The morning class time has sold out but there are still a few spots left in our afternoon session. Register here.